Monday, July 23, 2007

Of Biblical proportions

"For thou didst cast me into the depth, in the heart of the seas, And the flood was round about me; All thy waves and thy billows passed over me." (Jonah 2:3).

And so the rains certainly did come. I was working from home/feeling ill on Friday so I managed to avoid the trauma that trying to travel home would have been. Decided to stay at home and work today rather than risk getting trapped anywhere. Husband's work is without power, water or road access as it sits right next to the river that is about to overwhelm flood defences as the water travels downstream. He is currently watching the cricket.

For those of you who aren't familiar with what has been happening in my home county of Gloucestershire, UK just log on for all the gory details.

Luckily our house is snug and dry - most of the way up a hill and just beyond the area affected by water and power cuts. But the damage is astounding, I'm amazed that the area hasn't been declared a disaster zone - or do we not do that in the UK?

3 comments:

AdventuringJen said...

Phew! I was just about to email to see if you were ok and thought I'd check here first. Glad your house is ok. Sounds like staying at home for a few more days would be a good idea!!
xxx

Rand said...

Wow - that is major flooding!! Has this amount of flooding ever happened before?

Mad Medea said...

The area around the river Severn does flood fairly regularly as - but not to this extent.... this is the first time that flood waters have reached Tewkesbury Abbey in 247 years!

P.S. Water supplies in my home town are now likely to run out!